Splunk Enterprise

DB Connect 3.1.4 - Unable to write records - Error in handling indexed fields

aagro
Path Finder

Hi All,
I have a problem about splunk DB Connect App (Splunk Enterprise 7.2.3 - DB Connect 3.1.4) with my MySQL instance.
The MYSQL query return events and it's all right, rising column is ok, no error, but after I save the input, the events are not indexed:

2019-01-11 10:12:13.855 +0100 [QuartzScheduler_Worker-8] ERROR org.easybatch.core.job.BatchJob - Unable to write records
java.io.IOException: HTTP Error 400, HEC response body: {"text":"Error in handling indexed fields","code":15,"invalid-event-number":0}, trace: HttpResponseProxy{HTTP/1.1 400 Bad Request [Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2019 09:12:13 GMT, Content-Type: application/json; charset=UTF-8, X-Content-Type-Options: nosniff, Content-Length: 78, Vary: Authorization, Connection: Keep-Alive, X-Frame-Options: SAMEORIGIN, Server: Splunkd] ResponseEntityProxy{[Content-Type: application/json; charset=UTF-8,Content-Length: 78,Chunked: false]}}
at com.splunk.dbx.server.dbinput.recordwriter.HttpEventCollector.uploadEventBatch(HttpEventCollector.java:132)
at com.splunk.dbx.server.dbinput.recordwriter.HttpEventCollector.uploadEvents(HttpEventCollector.java:96)
at com.splunk.dbx.server.dbinput.recordwriter.HecEventWriter.writeRecords(HecEventWriter.java:36)
at org.easybatch.core.job.BatchJob.writeBatch(BatchJob.java:203)
at org.easybatch.core.job.BatchJob.call(BatchJob.java:79)
at org.easybatch.extensions.quartz.Job.execute(Job.java:59)
at org.quartz.core.JobRunShell.run(JobRunShell.java:202)
at org.quartz.simpl.SimpleThreadPool$WorkerThread.run(SimpleThreadPool.java:573)
2019-01-11 10:12:13.855 +0100 [QuartzScheduler_Worker-8] INFO org.easybatch.core.job.BatchJob - Job 'test_bcc013' finished with status: FAILED

The column of table are very simple and small like a integer id or char name.

Someone can help me please?

Tags (1)
0 Karma

thomasroulet
Path Finder

Http Event Collector expects to receive dates in format:

timestamp.microsecondes

Splunk DB connect transforms dates in this format via Java. If the default locale takes the comma as the decimal separator, the problems start ...

To solve this problem :

In Splunk DB Connect > Configuration> Settings> General, add the option in JVM Options:

-Duser.language=en

Save, java server restarts.

skramp
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

This solved my problem, in my case it was the correct solution. Thanks!

0 Karma

chlima
Explorer

Hey guys!

What about Windows environment?

Wich settings must we use?

Thanks!

0 Karma

aagro
Path Finder

Did you encountered problem on Windows?

By default I advise you to install the last version of Splunk Enteprise and DB Connect.

Let us know if you're having problems.

Regards,
Antonio

0 Karma

chlima
Explorer

Hi!

Yes! I got errors like this (Unable to write records) on Windows and versions 3.1.4 or 3.1.3

I solved this by downgrading to 3.1.1

I saw in the post below and confirmed through internal logs that time field from HEC payload has a comma and not a dot like in documentation. Maybe it be a bug ?

https://answers.splunk.com/answers/640570/why-are-dbconnect-3-inputs-unable-to-write-records.html

0 Karma

apascualcrespo

As I mention before, I thought that it was related with the new version, not sure if only DB Connect (3.1.4) or also because of Splunk Enterprise (7.2.3).
I solved it downgrading Splunk Enterprise to 7.2.1 and uninstalling DB Connect, then I installed 3.1.2 version and made new connections and identities in DB Connect. Don't copy them from 3.1.4, you have make new ones from beginning, otherwise it will not work.

I hope it helps you.

Álvaro.

0 Karma

aagro
Path Finder

Thank you Alvaro!

0 Karma

apascualcrespo

Did you solve it?

0 Karma

aagro
Path Finder

Yes I solved it but I did not try with downgrade.
I keep your suggestion as another way to solve the problem.

Thanks,
Antonio

0 Karma

apascualcrespo

Did you update the DB Connect to 3.1.4 version?
I had to reinstall it and stopped working after it...

0 Karma

aagro
Path Finder

No, DB Connect version 3.1.4 was first installation, but I keep mind yor suggestion.

Thanks,
Antonio

0 Karma

aagro
Path Finder

I resolve the problem tuning the env variable of OS (my LANG/LC_ALL was in IT) :

LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8

After server reboot, this one has resolved my problem.

Splunk Enterprise: 7.2.3
DB Connect: 3.1.4
OS Centos: 7.x
DB: MySQL 5.x

Regards,
Antonio

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Thanks for the Memories! Splunk University, .conf24, and Community Connections

Thank you to everyone in the Splunk Community who joined us for .conf24 – starting with Splunk University and ...

.conf24 | Day 0

Hello Splunk Community! My name is Chris, and I'm based in Canberra, Australia's capital, and I travelled for ...

Enhance Security Visibility with Splunk Enterprise Security 7.1 through Threat ...

(view in My Videos)Struggling with alert fatigue, lack of context, and prioritization around security ...