Splunk Enterprise

Changed account password that runs splunkd and receiving this unauthorized error

chipps
Loves-to-Learn

I will be the first to admit I am by no means even a novice in SPLUNK. I am trying to fix an issue that was recently created due to the need to update a service account password that is associated with SPLUNK.

We recently changed the password to the account that runs the splunkd service.  the service started back up without any issues, however when I attempt to log into the SPLUNK webapp I get an unauthorized error. It seems like an obvious authentication issue but due to my lack of knowledge with SPLUNK and how it is setup I am not even sure where to begin looking.

SplunkWeb_Error.PNG

Labels (2)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Which account did you change?  There's the OS account that runs Splunk and there are accounts you use to sign in as a Splunk user.  Both types are "associated with Splunk".  HOW did you make that change?

Changing the password on the OS account running Splunk has no effect on any user accounts within the product.  Try using the old password.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

chipps
Loves-to-Learn

It is an account that runs the SPLUNK service. It is not the account that is used to log in to the SPLUNK web. 

The account was password was changed in AD. The splunkd service was then stopped. We then went to administrative tools --> services --> properties of the splunkd service --> log on tab --> and updated the password there. We were able to start the service without an issues but the web interface is inaccessible.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

To reiterate, changes made to passwords in the OS do not affect the Splunk sign-in password.

Try using the previous password to sign in to Splunk UI.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...