Splunk Enterprise

Can I use Open Telemtery metric Data as a seed for Eventgen metric Data?

robertlynch2020
Motivator

Hi

I am working on a project where we are taking in Open Telemetry Data Metric.

I am looking for a way to re-import Metric Data for testing and i have been looking at eventgen.

I took some metric data that I have and using mpreview i exported it to a file (Below - sample.metric4).

I followed this great video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNk6u04TrtU

_raw,_time
"{""cmd"":""python3"",""component.name"":""rtpm-probe"",""metric_type"":""Gauge"",""module.names"":""MONITORING"",""mx.env"":""dell967srv.scz.murex.com:15023"",""parent.name"":""AGENT.dell1013srv.scz.murex.com"",""pid"":""789937"",""replica.name"":""rtpm-probe-ORCH2"",""server.mode"":""N/A"",""service.name"":""monitoring"",""service.type"":""agent-based"",""telemetry.sdk.language"":""python"",""telemetry.sdk.name"":""opentelemetry"",""telemetry.sdk.version"":""1.12.0rc2"",""metric_name:mx.process.errors.status"":4}",2023-03-30T14:21:24.000+0200

Then using evengen i was able to import this data into an event index to test it worked - it did.

I have been trying to  get it to work to sed it to a metric index, but no luck. I think i am close, but i just cant crack it.

This is the eventgen.conf file i have been using.

To note, i have tried multiple sourcetypes in relation to metrics, but i dont seem to be picking the correct one. Or the mpreview format is not ok!

[sample.metric4]
mode=sample
interval = 1m
earliest = -2m
latest = now
count=-1

outputMode = metric_httpevent

index = bcg_eventgen_metrics
host = bcg_eventgen
source = bcgames
sourcetype=otel

This is the error I am getting

The metric event is not properly structured, source=bcgames, sourcetype=metrics_csv, host=bcg_eventgen, index=bcg_eventgen_metrics. Metric event data without a metric name and properly formated numerical values are invalid and cannot be indexed. Ensure the input metric data is not malformed, have one or more keys of the form "metric_name:<metric>" (e.g..."metric_name:cpu.idle") with corresponding floating point values.
3/30/2023, 5:20:02 PM

When I change the eventgen.conf to send to an event index i can see the data. I just cant figure out how to get it to go to metric data. Perhaps by outputmode is not correct.

robertlynch2020_0-1680190700869.png

Thanks in advance for any help 🙂

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma

tscroggins
Influencer

Hi,

How is your otel source type defined?

Using your sample data with metric_name:mx.process.errors.status changed to mx.process.errors.status, I created a source type named otel based on the log2metrics_json source type following the process documented here: <https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/9.0.4/Metrics/L2MSplunkWeb>.

For testing, I set DATETIME_CONFIG = CURRENT.

The user interface defaults to _ALLNUMS_ for measures, which includes the mx.process.errors.status and pid fields. I changed this value to mx.process.errors.status. The include and exclude lists were left empty to use all remaining fields as dimensions.

Adding the data to a metrics index worked as expected.

The final configuration is below. See <https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/9.0.4/Admin/Transformsconf#Metrics> for more information on customizing metric transforms.

# props.conf

[otel]
DATETIME_CONFIG = CURRENT
INDEXED_EXTRACTIONS = json
LINE_BREAKER = ([\r\n]+)
METRIC-SCHEMA-TRANSFORMS = metric-schema:log2metrics_default_json
NO_BINARY_CHECK = true
category = Log to Metrics
description = JSON-formatted data. Log-to-metrics processing converts the numeric values in json keys into metric data points.
disabled = false
pulldown_type = true
#TZ = <time zone>

# transforms.conf

[metric-schema:log2metrics_default_json]
METRIC-SCHEMA-MEASURES = mx.process.errors.status

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Database Performance Sidebar Panel Now on APM Database Query Performance & Service ...

We’ve streamlined the troubleshooting experience for database-related service issues by adding a database ...

IM Landing Page Filter - Now Available

We’ve added the capability for you to filter across the summary details on the main Infrastructure Monitoring ...

Dynamic Links from Alerts to IM Navigators - New in Observability Cloud

Splunk continues to improve the troubleshooting experience in Observability Cloud with this latest enhancement ...