Splunk Enterprise

Add sum of two values to timeseries chart

_smp_
Builder

Hello, brand new Splunk user here getting my feet wet with the product, but I may be asking too much of myself at this point. We'll see.

I have a Windows forwarder sending messages to an Indexer on Linux. The forwarder is configured to send CPU stats, and the events are split between "% User TIme" and "% Processor Time". There is one event from each type sent every 10 seconds. I managed to create a timeseries chart with two lines - one line for % User TIme, and another line for % User time. Here is my search:

index=main source="Perfmon:CPU Load" | timechart max(Value) by counter

What I'd like to do now is add a third line representing the sum of these two values at a given point. So for example say at 10:00:00, I get an event with % User Time = 10 and % Processor Time = 20. At this point, I'd like a third line representing the sum of those two values (10 + 20 = 30), but overlaid on the same chart.

I have spent a few hours now reading the doc, Answers, and experimenting, but haven't come close. Seems like it should be pretty simple?

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

somesoni2
Revered Legend

somesoni2
Revered Legend

What you need is "addtotals" command. See more details here.

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/SearchReference/addtotals

_smp_
Builder

Yep, that was it. Just had to add an additional pipe to my search:

index=main source="Perfmon:CPU Load" | timechart max(Value) by counter | addtotals *Time Total row=t

Easy! Thanks so much!!!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...