Splunk Enterprise

Add daily stats to Search

Madmax
Path Finder

I was able to find this search that gives me the number of users(IONS) who disconnected 10 or more times however it gives me the total based on time.  I would like to display a daily number for 30 days in a line chart.  For example Monday there were 10 users who disconnected over 10 time and so on for the rest of week. I can't seem to get the timechart to work with this:

index=gbts-vconnection sourcetype=VMWareVDM_debug "onEvent: DISCONNECTED" (host=Host1 OR host=host2)
| rex field=_raw "(?ms)^(?:[^:\\n]*:){5}(?P<IONS>[^;]+)(?:[^:\\n]*:){8}(?P<Device>[^;]+)(?:[^;\\n]*;){4}\\w+:(?P<VDI>\\w+)" offset_field=_extracted_fields_bounds
| stats count by Device IONS
| where count >= 10
| appendpipe [|stats count as IONS | eval Device="Total"]
Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

FelixLeh
Contributor

If I understand you correctly the query should work like this:

index=gbts-vconnection sourcetype=VMWareVDM_debug "onEvent: DISCONNECTED" (host=Host1 OR host=host2)
| rex field=_raw "(?ms)^(?:[^:\\n]*:){5}(?P<IONS>[^;]+)(?:[^:\\n]*:){8}(?P<Device>[^;]+)(?:[^;\\n]*;){4}\\w+:(?P<VDI>\\w+)" offset_field=_extracted_fields_bounds
| eventstats count as failed_count by Device IONS
| where failed_count>=10
| timechart dc(IONS) as IONS span=1d

This will show you the amount of user with more than 10 failed logons on each day.

View solution in original post

Madmax
Path Finder

That's exactly what I needed!!!  Thank you very much. 

0 Karma

FelixLeh
Contributor

I'm glad I was able to help! 

0 Karma

FelixLeh
Contributor

If I understand you correctly the query should work like this:

| eventstats count as failed_count by Device IONS
| where failed_count>=10

This will show you the amount of user with more than 10 failed logons on each day.

Madmax
Path Finder

I spoke too soon.  It appears that the numbers are not accurate.  It shows the proper number if I set the time picker to last 24 hours but once I select last 30 days the number for yesterday increase by hundreds.  

0 Karma

FelixLeh
Contributor

My bad. I forgot to add a time variable to the eventstats. By disregarding time the query checks whether a user has more than 10 failed logins over the entire search span. If your data already has a date stamp then you can use that. Alternatively you could adjust the query like this:

| eval temp_date = strftime(_time, "%Y-%m-%d")
| eventstats count as failed_count by IONS,temp_date
| where failed_count>=10

Madmax
Path Finder

That worked like a charm!!  Thanks again! 

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...

.conf24 | Learning Tracks for Security, Observability, Platform, and Developers!

.conf24 is taking place at The Venetian in Las Vegas from June 11 - 14. Continue reading to learn about the ...

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...