entitymerge for identity_lookup_expanded doesn't produce any results

gabriel_vasseur
Contributor

This is the search that merges identities, according to the search preview:

| inputlookup append=T "administrative_identity_lookup" 
| fillnull value="administrative_identities" _source 
| inputlookup append=T "simple_identity_lookup" 
| fillnull value="static_identities" _source 
| eval identity=split(identity, "|"),identity=if(_source=="administrative_identities", mvappend(identity,email,replace(email,"@.*","")), identity),identity=if(_source=="static_identities", mvappend(identity,email,replace(email,"@.*","")), identity),identity=mvjoin(mvdedup(identity), "|") 
| table "_source","bunit","category","email","endDate","first","last","managedBy","nick","phone","prefix","priority","startDate","suffix","watchlist","work_city","work_country","work_lat","work_long","identity" 
| eval `iden_mktime_meval(startDate)`,`iden_mktime_meval(endDate)`,identity=mvsort(identity) 
| sort 0 +identity 
| inputlookup append=T "identity_lookup_expanded" 
| entitymerge "identity"

If identity_lookup_expanded is empty (because I've flushed it), it produces results. If I pipe these results into an "outputlookup identity_lookup_expanded" it is populating identity_lookup_expanded ok (except all text is lowercase, but see my other question regarding that). Now if I run the above search again, it returns no results. It's ok until it hist entitymerge.

What does this mean?

Labels (2)
0 Karma

scelikok
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hİ @gabriel_vasseur,

entitymerge command is supposed to add only new identities to prevent duplicates. That is why it is normal.

If this reply helps you an upvote and "Accept as Solution" is appreciated.
0 Karma

gabriel_vasseur
Contributor

According to https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/ES/6.5.0/Admin/Searchpreview

"The results are the delta since the last merge. If nothing has changed in the source files since the last merge, you do not see any output."

That answers my question. This behaviour is really weird and unexpected! :-$

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...