Splunk Enterprise Security

Why is the number of search artifacts in the dispatch directory higher than recommended?

splunkcol
Builder

The following error appears

"The number of search artifacts in the dispatch directory is higher than recommended (count=5155, warning threshold=5000) and could have an impact on search performance. Remove excess search artifacts using the "splunk clean-dispatch" CLI command, and review artifact retention policies in limits.conf and savedsearches.conf. You can also raise this warning threshold in limits.conf / dispatch_dir_warning_size."

After reviewing for a while in the forum I find that they mention the root /var2/splunk/splunk/var/run/splunk/dispatch  where they suggest to erase the oldest

somewhere they mention the jobs where it is recommended that they are not in real time

When entering via the web I find more than 700 jobs of which 10 are in progress and take more than 25 minutes, these jobs correspond to applications such as:

SA-ThreatIntelligence
DA-ESS-NetworkProtection
DA-ESS-EndpointProtection
SA-AccessProtection

how I should proceed?

Screenshot_4.png

0 Karma

thambisetty
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

may be some of your alerts are set to live for more number of days , thus Splunk can't delete the jobs.

dispatch.ttl = <integer>[p]
* Indicates the time to live (ttl), in seconds, for the artifacts of the
  scheduled search, if no actions are triggered.
* If the integer is followed by the letter 'p', the ttl is calculated as a
  multiple of the execution period for the scheduled search.
  For example, if the search is scheduled to run hourly and ttl is set to 2p,
  the ttl of the artifacts is set to 2 hours.
* If an action is triggered, the ttl is changed to the ttl for the action. If
  multiple actions are triggered, the action with the largest ttl is applied
  to the artifacts. To set the ttl for an action, refer to the
  alert_actions.conf.spec file.
* For more information on the ttl for a search, see the limits.conf.spec file
  [search] stanza ttl setting.
* Default: 2p, which is 2 times the period of the scheduled search

you can make use of below rest query to see if the setting is changed for any of your alerts:

| rest /services/saved/searches | search title="test alert" | table title dispatch.ttl

————————————
If this helps, give a like below.
0 Karma

juancamiloll
Explorer

today I see the same error message and there are no jobs running

When checking in other answers for this error message they refer to this folder where they recommend deleting the oldest files
But I see 3 types of files
the folder weighs 2Gb

is it safe to delete this information?

summarize.png

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...