Splunk Enterprise Security

Threat activity - Errors in correlation search related to RBA?

XavG
Engager

Hi,

I'm wondering if there isn't an issue with the correlation search that comes with Splunk ES "Threat activity detected". 

Indeed, my problem come from the fact that when it's triggered then I have at least 2 other alerts concerning the "24h thresold risk score" (RBA). 

I have taken the original correlation search (at least I think it is) 

| from datamodel:"Threat_Intelligence"."Threat_Activity" 
| dedup threat_match_field,threat_match_value
| `get_event_id`
| table _raw,event_id,source,src,dest,src_user,user,threat*,weight
| rename weight as record_weight
| `per_panel_filter("ppf_threat_activity","threat_match_field,threat_match_value")`
| `get_threat_attribution(threat_key)`
| rename source_* as threat_source_*,description as threat_description
| fields - *time
| eval
risk_score=case(isnum(record_weight), record_weight, isnum(weight) AND weight=1, 60, isnum(weight), weight, 1=1, null()),
risk_system=if(threat_match_field IN("query", "answer"),threat_match_value,null()),
risk_hash=if(threat_match_field IN("file_hash"),null(),threat_match_value),
risk_network=if(threat_match_field IN("http_user_agent", "url") OR threat_match_field LIKE "certificate_%",null(),threat_match_value),
risk_host=if(threat_match_field IN("file_name", "process", "service") OR threat_match_field LIKE "registry_%",null(),threat_match_value),
risk_other=if(threat_match_field IN("query", "answer", "src", "dest", "src_user", "user", "file_hash", "http_user_agent", "url", "file_name", "process", "service") OR threat_match_field LIKE "certificate_%" OR threat_match_field LIKE "registry_%",null(),threat_match_value)

And notice that the mechanism to select which type of risk category is concerned is changing after the first line. 

1.  Risk_system 

risk_system=if(threat_match_field IN("query", "answer"),threat_match_value,null()),

If I translate : If the threat_match_field is "query or "answer" then the risk category is system and risk_system="IOC that matched"

In this case this is a domain or URL (because it's a DNS query or answer)

--> THIS LINE IS GOOD

2. Risk_hash

But in the case of hash, if I translate : If the threat_match_field is "file_hash" then the risk category is NOT hash and risk_hash="null"

--> THIS LINE IS WRONG

Then it is the same for all other category : network, host, other

So in my opinion the values in the if statement were reversed. 

shoud be 

risk_hash=if(threat_match_field IN("file_hash"),threat_match_value, null()),

Is it me ? My instance ? or what ?

Thanks in advance

Xavier

Labels (1)

jacobappleton
Explorer

We've noticed the same thing. Would be nice to get some feedback from Splunk on whether this is a known issue.

0 Karma

frank_s
Engager

Yes, looks to be incorrect. You can re-write that portion as follows:

risk_hash=if(threat_match_field IN("file_hash"),threat_match_value,null()),
risk_network=if(threat_match_field IN("http_user_agent", "url") OR threat_match_field LIKE "certificate_%",threat_match_value,null()),
risk_host=if(threat_match_field IN("file_name", "process", "service") OR threat_match_field LIKE "registry_%",threat_match_value,null()),
risk_other=if(threat_match_field IN("query", "answer", "src", "dest", "src_user", "user", "file_hash", "http_user_agent", "url", "file_name", "process", "service") OR threat_match_field LIKE "certificate_%" OR threat_match_field LIKE "registry_%",null(),threat_match_value)

0 Karma

XavG
Engager

Nobody ? 😕

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...