Splunk Enterprise Security

Query to detect activity from inactive account

DawoodUlex

Hi Folks,

I want to create a correlation for inactive account activity including last login with timestamp and app used to login. Any suggestion would be helpful.

0 Karma
1 Solution

begleyj1
Path Finder

There are a couple routes to go from here. My recommendation would be to create a lookup of the user accounts, this should include AD username, email address, first and last name, and/or some unique identifier of the user. This lookup can be manual or automated (recommend automating through ldap/AD integration with Splunk). Once the lookup is configured, integrate your log sources that will identify authentication activity (Windows, O365, VPN,etc). Validate the log sources are parsing the fields correctly and compliant to the CIM standards. Once validated, add those indexes of log sources into the Authentication datamodel, then use your SPL to identify your requested criteria. Example search below:

|tstats `summariesonly` values(Authentication.app) as app values(Authentication.action)
from datamodel=Authentication.Authentication
where [inputlookup terminated_users.csv |fields user |rename user as Authentication.user]
by _time, Authentication.src, Authentication.user
|`drop_dm_object_name(Authentication)`

View solution in original post

0 Karma

begleyj1
Path Finder

There are a couple routes to go from here. My recommendation would be to create a lookup of the user accounts, this should include AD username, email address, first and last name, and/or some unique identifier of the user. This lookup can be manual or automated (recommend automating through ldap/AD integration with Splunk). Once the lookup is configured, integrate your log sources that will identify authentication activity (Windows, O365, VPN,etc). Validate the log sources are parsing the fields correctly and compliant to the CIM standards. Once validated, add those indexes of log sources into the Authentication datamodel, then use your SPL to identify your requested criteria. Example search below:

|tstats `summariesonly` values(Authentication.app) as app values(Authentication.action)
from datamodel=Authentication.Authentication
where [inputlookup terminated_users.csv |fields user |rename user as Authentication.user]
by _time, Authentication.src, Authentication.user
|`drop_dm_object_name(Authentication)`
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

Splunk is officially part of Cisco

Revolutionizing how our customers build resilience across their entire digital footprint.   Splunk ...

Splunk APM & RUM | Planned Maintenance March 26 - March 28, 2024

There will be planned maintenance for Splunk APM and RUM between March 26, 2024 and March 28, 2024 as ...