Splunk Enterprise Security

Is there any way to add a custom time to a notable event in Splunk ES?

hettervik
Builder

In Splunk ES we have correlation searches creating notable events. The timestamp of the notable event, and thus the timestamp of the incident in "Incident Review", is the time of when the correlation search ran. Is there any way to change this timestamp to a custom timestamp, i.e. the time of the actual log event in Splunk that triggered the notable event?

I know one solution is to make the correlation search run really often, like every minute, which would make the timestamps quite precise, but not perfect, and also this would not be optimal with regards to performance.

Also, I guess we could change the default time parsing of notable events in Splunk ES and add my own time field, e.g. "my_time_field", and use this field for time parsing instead, but then all out-of-the-box correlation searches in Splunk ES would stop working properly and it is in general not a good solution.

We've made a temporary solution to this by adding a new "Incident Review Event Attribute" field called "Alert Time", which adds a new field to the incidents with the "real" timestamp, but it's not optimal, as the time of the incident itself is still the same.

Is there any other way?  

Labels (2)
Tags (1)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...