Splunk Enterprise Security

Is it possible to count the number of values in a field by another field without stats?

brienhawker
Explorer

I have a search where I am trying to determine if a sender is a threat based on several different events that are added up at the end of my search. Before that though im trying to determine how many people that a sender has sent a message too. So far ive tried mvcount but it looks like mvcount doesnt allow a count by another value. Thanks in advance.

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

It appears that you posted this same question twice, is this one a duplicate of this one:
https://answers.splunk.com/answers/740480/how-to-compare-characters-in-two-fields-and-return.html#an...

If so, you should delete this one, because the other answer is more specific and has an accepted answer.

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Please respond @brienhawker.

0 Karma

adonio
Ultra Champion

you can use the eventstats command, read here:
https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.2.5/SearchReference/Eventstats

try this search anywhere, i hope it explains it well:

| makeresults count=5
| eval sender = "badguy,goodguy,neutralguy"
| makemv delim="," sender
| mvexpand sender
| eval recipients = case(sender=="badguy","1;;;2;;;3;;;4;;;5",sender=="neutralguy","1;;;2;;;3",sender=="goodguy","1")
| makemv delim=";;;" recipients
| mvexpand recipients
| eval message = "random message"
| eventstats dc(recipients) as unique_recipients by sender
0 Karma

smoir_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Can you say more about why you don't want to use stats? Can you share an example search? Have you looked at other commands like chart or eventstats?

brienhawker
Explorer

Your eventstats recommendation worked. Thank you.

0 Karma

brienhawker
Explorer

Im not wanting to use stats because im needing to just count the number of recipients by sender mid search and from what ive tried I havent had much success from it. Im completly open if there is a way to do it.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...