Splunk Enterprise Security

In streams, the aggregation of a variable sets the name to "sum(var name)" which causes var name issues later

blaise
Explorer

While getting Netflow data using streams, I aggregate a variable "bytes_in" as a sum of the bytes_in received in a flow, this works well, and I get a new variable called "sum(bytes_in)"

The problem I am experiencing is this: Streams in the previous version, used to index the data for the aggregate "sum(bytes_in)" as "bytes_in".

Now since I upgraded to Streams 7.2, Streams indexes the data as "sum(bytes_in)"

And this is causing me a lot of issues when trying to get this data into a data model, every time I try to use this data, the SPL fails 
This works in a normal search: I use stats to get the max value of "sum(bytes_in)" and distinguish events by src_ip,dest_ip, etc 
index=streams | stats max(sum(bytes_in)) AS bytes_in by src_ip,dest_ip,dest_port,src_port,timestamp | where isnum(bytes_in)

But When I try and import the streams data into a data model, the name of the variable "sum(bytes)" seems to be causing a lot of issues:

error message: "Error in 'eval' command: The 'sum' function is unsupported or undefined."

So I need to either:

- from streams, rename the variable name "sum(bytes_in)" to "bytes_in for example, but I cannot find how to do this in streams

OR

- in the data model, rename the variable name "sum(bytes_in)" to "bytes_in for example, but I cannot seem to find how to do that as well

Labels (1)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...