Splunk Enterprise Security

How to separately & automatically index drill down events of notables/incidents raised in ES

kamaljagga
Path Finder

I use the inbuilt ES  notables and incidents for creating the tickets for team to work on the issues. All the tickets are saved in separate index=notable, however the issue is that the drill down events of these notables are not saved separately. Drill down search runs on normal indexes such as windows/unix etc with shorter retention periods. Sometimes, I need those drill down events for research purpose, then i need to unfreeze the whole bucket to get one event of appropriate data. 

I want to create a new index which will store drill down events for all the notables raised automatically and then I can adjust its retention period as per my need. 

Kindly advise.  

0 Karma

kamaljagga
Path Finder
  1. Drill down search is created and saved while creating the correlation search. Is there a way to run the  the drill down search automatically and save results in a new index/data model etc.
  2. Notables are saved for longer duration. Auditors, sometimes are not satisfied with the incident notes and want to see raw events.
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Thanks for the explanations.

Drilldowns are created when the CS is created, but they don't run until a user clicks on an event.  That's because the drilldown often uses values from the clicked event in its search.  To have a CS save all possible drilldown events would be the same as saving the data it just searched.  Since a CS may search the same data many times over the course of a day, re-saving every event searched would be very wasteful.

Would an auditor be satisfied if asked to wait a few hours for the archived bucket to be restored?

Consider making a case for different behavior at https://ideas.splunk.com

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

kamaljagga
Path Finder

Submitted the idea. Kindly upvote.

https://ideas.splunk.com/ideas/ESSID-I-140

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

How do you know what events are needed for a drilldown before the drilldown is clicked?

Why retain a notable event longer than the supporting events?  If the notable can't be investigated then there's little point in keeping it.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...