Splunk Enterprise Security

How to exclude CIDR range from Splunk Enterprise Security alert

saidshow
Explorer

We have a number of alerts in Splunk ES that are triggered by our external scanner. We want to be able to exclude our own external scanner from these alerts in Splunk ES. I have the CIDR range for our scanner however my training for Splunk ES is not until March. I would like to make a move on excluding the scanner from these alerts and looking at more meaningful alerts.

Thank you.

0 Karma
1 Solution

to4kawa
Ultra Champion
index=_internal
| search NOT 127.0.0.0/8

Hi, @saidshow
This query is the sample of exclude CIDR.

your_search
|search NOT your_ip_and_prefix

How about this?

View solution in original post

lkutch_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Which version of ES? Maybe you could use MLTK. There's an example of filtering out the CIDR range of test servers by using .src!=10.11.36.0/24: https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/ES/6.0.0/Admin/MLTKoverview#Finding_outliers_with_DensityFunct...

saidshow
Explorer

Mate, that is terrific. I will see if I can get this working on Monday. Thank you for taking the time to assist. It is appreciated.

0 Karma

to4kawa
Ultra Champion
index=_internal
| search NOT 127.0.0.0/8

Hi, @saidshow
This query is the sample of exclude CIDR.

your_search
|search NOT your_ip_and_prefix

How about this?

saidshow
Explorer

I tried it and it worked just fine - it was actually so simple I overlooked it. This works both as:

my_search NOT field=value

and as

my_search
| search NOT field=value

I prefer the second as it is clearer in the search. Thank you again. Very simple.

0 Karma

to4kawa
Ultra Champion

The second is slower, so the first is fine. Happy splunking.

0 Karma

saidshow
Explorer

Thank you, this looks very simple. I will give this a try in a moment.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...