Splunk Enterprise Security

How to detect url/domain category change in proxy logs

vicky2903

Hi Everyone,

I want to create a splunk query which can detect url/domain category change in the proxy logs within last 7 days

Example

Initial domain/url category

Domain/url : abc.com
Category : New Domain
Date : 12 May 2020

Final domain/url category

Domain/url : abc.com
Category : Business
Date : 18 May 2020

Kindly help at the earliest

Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

PavelP
Motivator

Hello @vicky2903

from the naive perspective this search will find domains with more than 1 category:

sourcetype=proxylog earliest=-7@d latest=now
| stats  dc(url_category) AS num_of_cat by domain 
|  where num_of_cat > 1

but in real life things are different:

I suggest to compare not domains alone but domain + first segment of url to handle such cases.

Which URL database do use use? Cases above can be applied to Talos (Cisco), Trustedsource (McAfee) and BlueCoat/Symantec/Broadcom among others

View solution in original post

0 Karma

PavelP
Motivator

Hello @vicky2903

from the naive perspective this search will find domains with more than 1 category:

sourcetype=proxylog earliest=-7@d latest=now
| stats  dc(url_category) AS num_of_cat by domain 
|  where num_of_cat > 1

but in real life things are different:

I suggest to compare not domains alone but domain + first segment of url to handle such cases.

Which URL database do use use? Cases above can be applied to Talos (Cisco), Trustedsource (McAfee) and BlueCoat/Symantec/Broadcom among others

0 Karma

vicky2903

Hi ,

Thanks for the answer

Thanks

0 Karma

PavelP
Motivator

@vicky2903 please accept my answer if it resolve your query

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...