Splunk Enterprise Security

Help needed capturing a regex and then grouping on it

mikeclemson

I have unstructured data that can vary, and I want to find results that match exactly 32 lowercase a-z characters, and then group based on that match. My field name is cs6, which includes an entire HTTP request. I see that my regex is quite simple, regex cs6="[a-z]{32}". How do I further extract this value and group on the occurrences to find out which of these is most common? These represent Chrome extension IDs.

The examples that I found seemed to require me to have a consistent prefix, which I won't have.

0 Karma
1 Solution

diogofgm
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

instead of |regex cs6="[a-z]{32}" use this: |rex field=cs6 "(?<extension_id>[a-z]{32})" | stats count by extension_id

------------
Hope I was able to help you. If so, some karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

diogofgm
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

instead of |regex cs6="[a-z]{32}" use this: |rex field=cs6 "(?<extension_id>[a-z]{32})" | stats count by extension_id

------------

mikeclemson

Thanks! I misunderstood the examples as thinking I needed the name, in your example extension_id, to exist in my actual data. I realize now I just make up whatever I want, making sure the entire thing is inside a capture group with parentheses.

0 Karma

diogofgm
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

yes 😉 I recommend checking regex101.com to test your regex patterns and learn more.

------------
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer Certification at ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...