Splunk Enterprise Security

Find events from two indexes based on a time range

wtaylor149
Explorer

I have a need to reconcile Splunk ES rule changes. I am using the rest API to pull the "updated" rule changes. The issue with this is the logs in splunk don't identify the user who updates the rule. I have another index that is our change management system. This system may or may not have the exact splunk rule somewhere in the description field. The change mgmt system has a beginning and ending time range. The "updated" time should fall w/in that range.

The only way to correlate these two indexes, would be to take the "updated" timestamp and check the change mgmt logs for the "begin_chg_time > updated AND updated < end_chg_time".

Basically I believe I'm stuck on taking the field "updated" and checking for the change record in the change mgmt index.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

A subsearch should be able to do that.

index=bar <your change mgmt search here> 
 [ search index=foo "updated" 
 | eval earliest=relative_time(_time,"-5min@min"), latest=relative_time(_time,"+5min@min") 
 | fields earliest latest 
 | format]
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...