Splunk Enterprise Security

Compare search using join and subsearch in 2 different indexes

SplunkNewbie18

Hi,

I've got 2 index logs to do a comparison with for emails. So in my mind is to use subsearch and join - but doesnt seems to work. 😞

Condition:
If more than 5 emails with the same sender was detected, these results will compare with the other sets of index logs. Field comparison is by subject. Only when more than 5 counts of same sender in index emailA and any of the subject matches to the ones in index emailB, will trigger an alert.

My search:
index=emailA
| stats values(subject) as subject count by sender
| where count > 5
| join subject [|search index=emailB
| table subject]
| table count, subject, sender

Can help to see whats wrong with my query? 😞

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Like this:

index=emailA
| stats values(subject) AS subject count BY sender
| search (count > 5) AND [search index=emailB | stats count BY subject | table subject ]
0 Karma

to4kawa
Ultra Champion
index=emailA OR index=emailB
| streamstats dc(index) as dcSub by subject
| stats values(dcSub) as dcSub values(subject) as subject count by sender
| where count > 5 AND dcSub==2

Hi, How about it?

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi SplunkNewbie18,
probably subject isn't a field useful for comparison because could be some space or char.
In addition: how many results have in subsearch? remember that there's the limit of 50,000 results in subsearches.

Ciao.
Giuseppe

0 Karma

SplunkNewbie18

Ohh we can only base on the subject as there's no other matching fields to compare with between the 2 index. I can confirm that the subsearch fields is less than 50000. On average abt less than 50 results.

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi SplunkNewbie18,
let me understand: you want to display count, subject and sender that are from the first index and the first stats, so, why do you want the join?
Ciao.
Giuseppe

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...