Splunk Enterprise Security

Can you help me troubleshoot a problem adding a trendline to my query?

kokanne
Communicator

I need to make a report once a month that indicates the trend between the succesful / unsuccesful log-ins on the network. I'm using the authentication data model for this. But when adding a trendline, nothing shows up in the visualization tab. There is only one line.

Can anyone tell me what's going wrong?

| tstats summariesonly=true count from datamodel=Authentication by "Authentication.action" 
| search "Authentication.action"!="unknown" 
| trendline sma5(count) AS trend

alt text

zonistj
Path Finder

Hi,

I think you need to add the _time field to your by clause and then use timechart followed by the trendline function:

| tstats summariesonly=true count from datamodel=Authentication by "Authentication.action",_time 
| search "Authentication.action"!="unknown" 
| timechart count 

That worked for me.

Edit:

Actually, that didn't work. I just realized it was going off the count of the number of "count" rather than the values you were looking for...

I think this works.

| tstats summariesonly=true count from datamodel=Authentication by "Authentication.action",_time
|rename Authentication.action AS action
| search action!="unknown" 
| timechart sum(count) AS count by action

I renamed the action field to something easier to use and then did a sum of the count from tstats by action. This looked right to me based on the trendline before and after adding the timechart.

0 Karma

zonistj
Path Finder

I was just playing around with it and it turns out you don't even need the timechart. You can get it done just by adding the _time field to your by clause:

| search Authentication.action!="unknown" 
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...