Splunk Enterprise Security

Calculated field always evaluates to zero

davidmonaghan
Explorer

Hi All

I am attempting to create a field called app for Enterprise Security based off of Cisco WSA Squid logs

To create the field, I use a field alias of the sourcetype to fill the value of app

Next I am trying to use a calculated field to determine to final value app=case(app="cisco:wsa:squid","squid")

Testing this in a basic search works fine sourcetype=cisco:wsa:squid | eval app=case(app="cisco:wsa:squid","squid") | table _time, app

But using that search as a calculated field always evaluates to zero.

Anyone have any idea why?

0 Karma
1 Solution

mayurr98
Super Champion

You need to write only case(app="cisco:wsa:squid","squid") in the eval expression. Field name you have to specify in Name.

View solution in original post

mayurr98
Super Champion

You need to write only case(app="cisco:wsa:squid","squid") in the eval expression. Field name you have to specify in Name.

davidmonaghan
Explorer

Thanks that worked perfectly

0 Karma

mayurr98
Super Champion

I have converted my comment to an answer. If you deem a posted answer as valid and helpful to your solving of the issue, please accept said answer so that this question no longer appears open.

0 Karma

davidmonaghan
Explorer

1) I used the Splunk Web interface. The eval expression used was app=case(app="cisco:wsa:squid","squid")
2) Permission have been set to global

0 Karma

mayurr98
Super Champion

I have two queries.
1) what eval expression you have configured . can you give the artifacts of local/props.conf where this calculated field configuration is.
2) Try making calculated field permissions to global.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...