Splunk Enterprise Security

Add Adaptive Response fields to Notable Event

ericl42
Path Finder

I've done quite a bit of research on this top and I've found this post from a few years ago which references George Starcher's blog post about it. I've gotten quite a ways into it but I've ran into an issue using my new search macro in the "Incident Review - Main" search.

Below are the steps I've completed so far.

1. Created a VirusTotal Adaptive Response Action that auto queries the domain of the notable event. This is working very well and I can get the results if I click on my VT notable event.
  2. I created a vtpositives(1) macro that looks like this (I know it's not best practices for some of my search items, this is just a dev system) search index=_* OR index=* VirusTotal "queried url" $query$ source!=audittrail | table positives
  3. When I run the macro from a search and input the URL, it shows the number of positive hits that VirusTotal shows up, which is the field I want to show up in additional fields under the notable event.
  4. I modified the "Incident Review - Main" search to add vtpositives(1) right before the risk_correlation field that is currently last. I have tried both with the (1) and without it. I know that the "query" field populates correctly within the notable event and the VirusTotal results.

Once I go to click on the notable events, the page is 100% blank. It does not like my macro at all and prevents any search results from coming up. So my real question is how do I get the positives field out of my search macro and into the notable event?

For some reason my URLs are not working above so here they are.
- https://answers.splunk.com/answers/481995/splunk-enterprise-security-how-to-add-fields-to-no.html?ut...
- http://www.georgestarcher.com/splunk-enterprise-security-enhancing-incident-review/

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer Certification at ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...