Splunk Dev

Access the static images in app path

phil__tanner
Path Finder

Hi all 

I'm creating a custom visualisation for my org, so I'm developing it into an app, following this tutorial:
https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.0.5/AdvancedDev/CustomVizTutorial

Everything's great so far and working perfectly on my local machine when I'm referencing a background image in my CSS using:

background-image: url( '/static/app/********/images/hot-water-icon.gif' );

(obviously ******** is the name of my app, on my local machine).

This is great, until I sent an upgrade to test on another machine, where it got installed into an app directory called "******** - Copy" (I assume because that was the name of the file of the folder I copied to zip & send thru, because I didn't want to send some other things in the /static/app/********/bin/ folder I was still working on at the time....)

So... How do I access the URI for the named app install folder? Can it be done? or do I just need to presume it'll always be as I set it?

Thanks in advance,
Phil

0 Karma

aa70627
Communicator

have you tried using a relative URL as either

background-image: url( 'images/hot-water-icon.gif' );

OR 

background-image: url( 'hot-water-icon.gif' );

0 Karma

phil__tanner
Path Finder

Unfortunately that's not going to work as we plan on using the visualisation in many dashboards, and across multiple embedded reports - which of course have URLs outside of the particular app (and the visualisation is marked as being set to be available globally within the instance).

0 Karma

aa70627
Communicator

try this:

background-image: url( '/en-US/static/app/{yourapp}/images/simple_chart.png' );

no matter which app your using this from, it should still work as long as you replace {yourapp} with the actual app where the image resides. 

0 Karma

phil__tanner
Path Finder

Thanks Path Finder.

Unfortunately, that's my question - for my local dev {yourapp} is one value. But when testing on another machine, they have installed it (somehow) into {yourapp - Copy}  - I'm trying to work out if I can programmatically access what value {yourapp} has been set to on the currently running install.

I think the answer is "no", and my edge case is so edge-casey that it wouldn't be worth developing anything for.

Phil.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

New This Month - Observability Updates Give Extended Visibility and Improve User ...

This month is a collection of special news! From Magic Quadrant updates to AppDynamics integrations to ...

Intro to Splunk Synthetic Monitoring

In our last post, we mentioned that the 3 key pieces of observability – metrics, logs, and traces – provide ...