Splunk Cloud Platform

Splunk Cloud Licnese

Vnarunart
Explorer

Hi, I need help as I'm new to Splunk and was assigned this role by a resigned administrator. I need to find out the expiration date of our Splunk Cloud license.

I can't access the menu: Settings > System > Permissions (I've checked the assigned user's capabilities but there are no permissions for license_edit, license_read, license_tab, or license_view_warnings).

Is it possible that there's a license manager somewhere on-premise since we're using Heavy Forwarder and Deployment Server?

Please advise on what I can do if I can't contact the previous administrator.
What information should I gather beforehand to be ready to open a Support Ticket?

I apologize if I've misunderstood anything.

0 Karma
1 Solution

Vnarunart
Explorer

I found that I need a Splunk cloud account (a member of Cloud Stack/Instances) to access the data, which the user I previously had did not have. However, I would like to thank everyone for their efforts in helping me this time.

I’m grateful for your mentorship.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

Vnarunart
Explorer

I found that I need a Splunk cloud account (a member of Cloud Stack/Instances) to access the data, which the user I previously had did not have. However, I would like to thank everyone for their efforts in helping me this time.

I’m grateful for your mentorship.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Contact your Splunk account team for information about your Splunk Cloud license.   They also can help ensure you have entitlement to submit support cases.

If you're running heavy forwarders and a DS then you have an on-prem LM (perhaps shared with the DS).  However, I would not expect the expiration date of that license to match the expiration date of the Splunk Cloud license (it's possible, but not guaranteed).

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

Vnarunart
Explorer

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it.
I am working on Splunk account.

In the scenario you mentioned about "pherhaps shared with the DS", I've checked directly on the DS under Settings > SYSTEM > Licensing and found the values to be default (expire: 2038). Is this the same license you're referring to? If not, could you please point me to the specific location or configuration file that references the LM I should be looking for?

Thanks again!

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The default (trial) Splunk license expires after 60 days so would not have a 2038 expiration date.

The free license, which is what the trial license becomes after the trial ends, has a 2038 expiration date, but also has a number of limitations, including preventing an instance from functioning as a heavy forwarder or deployment server.  Also, the Settings->Licensing screen should clearly say "Free license".

Again, your Splunk account team is your best source of answers about your licenses.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

HFs typically run with the forwarder license. It doesn't allow local indexing and I suppose it might be time-unlimited. For DS there can be that funky "no ingest volume" license meant for running such on-prem components when you're flying Cloud.

And they indeed might not have anything to do with the Cloud license in terms of expiration date.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Celebrate CX Day with Splunk: Take our interactive quiz, join our LinkedIn Live ...

Today and every day, Splunk celebrates the importance of customer experience throughout our product, ...

How to Get Started with Splunk Data Management Pipeline Builders (Edge Processor & ...

If you want to gain full control over your growing data volumes, check out Splunk’s Data Management pipeline ...

Out of the Box to Up And Running - Streamlined Observability for Your Cloud ...

Tech Talk Streamlined Observability for Your Cloud Environment Register    Out of the Box to Up And Running ...