Splunk Cloud Platform

Splunk App to monitor folder size

PaulaCom
Path Finder

Good Morning 

Does anyone currently use Splunk or an App in Splunk to monitor folder size? 
We are currently been asked to set up new folders for fileshare for various teams and as our storage resource are near end we'd like to monitor each users' folder size.
The ideal scenario would be that there would be a threshold in size put on each folder and when the folder is near capacity then an alert would trigger and the IT Team would take action. 

Kind regards,

Paula  

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

deepakc
Builder

Hi

I can't think of any app that monitors user folder sizes, but it wouldn’t be that hard to set up.

Possible High-Level Steps:

1. Determine your OS is it Windows / Linux
  2. Based on the OS, you can use various Linux command’s  + bash script to monitor user folder sizes on a regular based and output that data into a text log file with a timestamp, you can do the same if its Windows and use a PowerShell script.
  3. The log file can be monitored at various intervals  by Splunk UF + inputs.conf and Props.conf
  4. Once the data is in an index, you can set up thresholds and alerts.

Yes, a bit of homework and scripting, but that’s the flexibility of Splunk and not that hard to do, and you would have created your own private TA

View solution in original post

deepakc
Builder

Hi

I can't think of any app that monitors user folder sizes, but it wouldn’t be that hard to set up.

Possible High-Level Steps:

1. Determine your OS is it Windows / Linux
  2. Based on the OS, you can use various Linux command’s  + bash script to monitor user folder sizes on a regular based and output that data into a text log file with a timestamp, you can do the same if its Windows and use a PowerShell script.
  3. The log file can be monitored at various intervals  by Splunk UF + inputs.conf and Props.conf
  4. Once the data is in an index, you can set up thresholds and alerts.

Yes, a bit of homework and scripting, but that’s the flexibility of Splunk and not that hard to do, and you would have created your own private TA

deepakc
Builder

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Thanks for the Memories! Splunk University, .conf24, and Community Connections

Thank you to everyone in the Splunk Community who joined us for .conf24 – starting with Splunk University and ...

.conf24 | Day 0

Hello Splunk Community! My name is Chris, and I'm based in Canberra, Australia's capital, and I travelled for ...