Splunk Cloud Platform

How to send multiple events in one HTTP Even Collector call?

rolyrolex
Path Finder

Hello, 

I want to know if it's possible to upload files in Splunk Cloud  through the Http Collector or other way ? 

Now i have a file with lines as events and i'm making an htttp request for each lines to load events in Splunk. 

Do you have another solution please ? 

Thanks !!

Labels (1)
0 Karma

rolyrolex
Path Finder

Thank you very much for all you responses. 

Just one last thing;

i'm using Powershell to send data and i don't know how to send multiple events in powershell 

0 Karma

VatsalJagani
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I'm not familiar with PowerShell as much but the format of API calls would remain the same.

You just put one event followed by other events without space.

{event1:......}{event2:.....}{event2:....}

etc.

0 Karma

rolyrolex
Path Finder

Thank you for your answer @VatsalJagani !

My events a formated in JSON like this : 
      {
"host": stream",
"sourcetype": "testlog",
"time": "2022-03-08T13:00:14.3360600+01:00",
"event": {
"Delay Time": "0 Sec",
"OrderNumber": "4278191",
"Key / CLE": "1K63537000VP74003965",
"Printer Name": "ZM40"
}
}
{
"host": "stream",
"sourcetype": "testlog",
"time": "2022-03-08T13:00:14.3360600+01:00",
"event": {
"Delay Time": "0 Sec",
"OrderNumber": "4278",
"Key / CLE": "1K63537000VP7",
"Printer Name": "ZM400
}
}

can i still send them ? 

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Close. But hour event field has to be a string, not a json structure.

0 Karma

VatsalJagani
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@PickleRick

Is it documented somewhere? Because the doc says it's possible to have JSON object as an event.

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.2.6/Data/FormateventsforHTTPEventCollector (Example-2)

VatsalJagani_0-1649851739151.png

Also, batch data does not mention that it cannot be JSON object events.

VatsalJagani_1-1649851779998.png

VatsalJagani
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@rolyrolex - Kindly accept the answer in case if it resolves your issue. Thanks!!

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Sorry, you're right, I stand corrected. I must have mistaken it with another functionality.

0 Karma

VatsalJagani
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Yes, you can send multiple events even with JSON format.

Reference - https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.2.6/Data/FormateventsforHTTPEventCollector (Though this document only provides normal string in a batch mode, there is no restriction for it to apply on JSON type events)

0 Karma

VatsalJagani
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@rolyrolex - You cannot upload the file directly to the Splunk HEC endpoint (/services/collector) but you can make requests with multiple events in one endpoint call.

curl "https://mysplunkserver.example.com:8088/services/collector" \
    -H "Authorization: Splunk CF179AE4-3C99-45F5-A7CC-3284AA91CF67" \
    -d '{"event": "Pony 1 has left the barn"}{"event": "Pony 2 has left the barn"}{"event": "Pony 3 has left the barn", "nested": {"key1": "value1"}}'

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Data/HECExamples (Look at the second example)

If you are using the raw endpoint of HEC (/services/collector/raw) then you can read and upload the whole content of the file, but then you need to write proper props.conf configuration to parse/line-breaking/line-merging/timestamp parsing.

I hope this helps, if it does consider upvote!!!

(Look at the 4th example in above link)

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Celebrate CX Day with Splunk: Take our interactive quiz, join our LinkedIn Live ...

Today and every day, Splunk celebrates the importance of customer experience throughout our product, ...

How to Get Started with Splunk Data Management Pipeline Builders (Edge Processor & ...

If you want to gain full control over your growing data volumes, check out Splunk’s Data Management pipeline ...

Out of the Box to Up And Running - Streamlined Observability for Your Cloud ...

Tech Talk Streamlined Observability for Your Cloud Environment Register    Out of the Box to Up And Running ...