Splunk Cloud Platform

How can I modify dashboard view App & owner via REST API?

imsidrai
Explorer

How can i modify or update owner & app context for  dashboard view/panel via REST API call ?

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Use a GET call to obtain the dashboard's XML definition.  Modify the definition as required then use a PUT call to update the dashboard.  See https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/9.1.0/RESTREF/RESTknowledge#data.2Fui.2Fviews.2F.7Bname...

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Use a GET call to obtain the dashboard's XML definition.  Modify the definition as required then use a PUT call to update the dashboard.  See https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/9.1.0/RESTREF/RESTknowledge#data.2Fui.2Fviews.2F.7Bname...

---

imsidrai
Explorer

@richgalloway 
so this operation can not be done in bulk.. i have 100 of views (owned by a user who isnt part of organization)  some of which i want to delete and reassign some to another app and user

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

"bulk" was not part of the OP.  Consider writing a script that performs the necessary operations on all 100 objects for you.

---
0 Karma

imsidrai
Explorer

so if i do like below in my code , that should work  and change app & user context or for views the endpoint is different ?

dashboard_name = "view_name"

dashboard_xml_data = get_user_accounts_dashboard_xml(main_query_user_accounts, addon_query_user_accounts_sum)

data = {'output_mode': 'json',

'owner': 'test_user',

'app_name: 'test_app'

}

response = requests.post( splunk_server + '/servicesNS/' + app_author + '/' + app_name + '/data/ui/views/' + view_name +"/acl", data=data,

auth=(user, password), verify=False)

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

At a high level, that appears to be a good approach.

---
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer Certification at ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...

Share Your Ideas & Meet the Lantern team at .Conf! Plus All of This Month’s New ...

Splunk Lantern is Splunk’s customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...