Splunk Cloud Platform

Any tips for Migrating Splunk 6.5 to Splunk Cloud?

Jimenez_C

Hi all,

I want to migrate Splunk Enterprise 6.5 to Splunk Cloud.

There is an app called Cloud Migration Assessment App for Splunk (SCMA), but it is not compatible with Splunk Enterprise 6.5 version.

I prefer not to need to update the actual Splunk Enterprise.

Any tip?

Labels (2)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I always recommend customers migrating to Splunk Cloud first upgrade their on-prem instances to a version close to what will run in Cloud.  This help ensure a successful migration and also helps ensure instances that will remain on-prem (heavy forwarders, for example) will be compatible with Cloud instances.

A 6.5 system likely has many apps are that are too old to be compatible with Splunk Cloud.  Upgrading before migration gives you the chance to test new app versions in a known environment.  The same goes for dashboards that may not be ready for Cloud.

Finally, migrating your data to Splunk Cloud requires the use of SmartStore, which requires Splunk 7.2 or newer.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Stay Connected: Your Guide to May Tech Talks, Office Hours, and Webinars!

Take a look below to explore our upcoming Community Office Hours, Tech Talks, and Webinars this month. This ...

They're back! Join the SplunkTrust and MVP at .conf24

With our highly anticipated annual conference, .conf, comes the fez-wearers you can trust! The SplunkTrust, as ...

Enterprise Security Content Update (ESCU) | New Releases

Last month, the Splunk Threat Research Team had two releases of new security content via the Enterprise ...