Splunk Cloud Platform

Adjusting EXTRACT-<class> setting of existing sourcetype

tlewis
Observer

I have a custom sourcetype that has the following advanced setting:

Name/Value

EXTRACT-app : EXTRACT-app field extraction/^(?P<date>\w+\s+\d+\s+\d+:\d+:\d+)\s+(?P<host>[^ ]+) (?P<service>[a-zA-Z\-]+)_app  (?P<level>\w+)⏆(?P<controller>[^⏆]*)⏆(?P<thread>[^⏆]*)⏆((?P<flowId>[a-z0-9]*)⏆)?(?P<message>[^⏆]*)⏆(?P<exception>[^⏆]*)

I updated the regex to be slightly less restrictive about the white-space following the "_app" portion:

Name/Value

EXTRACT-app : EXTRACT-app field extraction/^(?P<date>\w+\s+\d+\s+\d+:\d+:\d+)\s+(?P<host>[^ ]+) (?P<service>[a-zA-Z\-]+)_app\s+(?P<level>\w+)⏆(?P<controller>[^⏆]*)⏆(?P<thread>[^⏆]*)⏆((?P<flowId>[a-z0-9]*)⏆)?(?P<message>[^⏆]*)⏆(?P<exception>[^⏆]*)

(So instead of matching on two-spaces exactly following `_app` we match on one or more white-spaces.)

After saving this change, it appears Splunk cloud still uses the previous regex. (Events that include only a single space after "_app" don't get their fields extracted.) I thought perhaps I needed to wait a little while for the change to propagate, but I made the change yesterday and it still doesn't extract the fields today. Is there anything else I need to do to have the regex change take effect?

Labels (1)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

How did you make the change?  If you used the GUI then it's possible the change never propagated (I've heard rumors about this happening).  Config changes on Splunk Cloud should be made in an app which you then upload and install.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

New This Month - Observability Updates Give Extended Visibility and Improve User ...

This month is a collection of special news! From Magic Quadrant updates to AppDynamics integrations to ...

Intro to Splunk Synthetic Monitoring

In our last post, we mentioned that the 3 key pieces of observability – metrics, logs, and traces – provide ...