Security

Why does Splunk web give me an ="ERROR">Unauthorized when I configure trusted CA certificates?

dharveynswccd
Path Finder

I have 2 search heads and I've acquired TLS certs from my trusted CA that I'm using to secure web traffic to the search heads. On one search head I configured the web.conf in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/local/ as per documentation. On one search head everything works fine but on the other I am receiving the following error:

Unauthorized

The only way I can get this work is to modify the web.conf in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/default/, which is not the recommended way. Besides, whenever there is a Splunk upgrade that wipes out the settings.

We found out that when Splunk PS set this up last year, this second server did not have a web.conf file in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/local/. I had to copy from the Default directory but something obviously isn't kosher and I am looking for help determining the issue.
Thanks guys!

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

dharveynswccd
Path Finder

Figured it out. Apparently Splunk didn't like me copying over an entire directory and modifying it. I deleted the web.conf file, recreated it then copy and pasted in the stanzas from a sample file. That worked fine.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

dharveynswccd
Path Finder

Figured it out. Apparently Splunk didn't like me copying over an entire directory and modifying it. I deleted the web.conf file, recreated it then copy and pasted in the stanzas from a sample file. That worked fine.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...