Security

Splunkweb referrer missing since 6.5.5

ehudb
Contributor

In Splunk 6.5.3, We've been using document.referrer to get the url when linking from Splunk dashboard to external web server.
We've been using that referrer to get the previous sid and use that within our external web app.

After upgrading to Splunk 7.0.2, we found out Splunk no longer exposure the referrer, therefor we cannot use it to get the sid after navigating to external link.
I have also installed 6.5.5 and 6.5.0 and found out the referrer feature exists on 6.50 but do not exists anymore on 6.5.5, so it must have been stopped somewhere in the middle.

Is there any way to return the referrer attribute after navigating out from Splunk dashboard?

Example of achieving the referrer attribute:
1. Open browser console
2. Write 'document.referrer'
3. Result on Splunk 6.5.0:
"https://splunksh:8000/en-GB/app/search/search"
Results on Splunk 6.5.5+:
""

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

niketn
Legend

@ehudb, can you try window.location.href instead of document.referrer?

PS: If QueryString is present and you dont need it, you can truncate the same using JavaScript.

View solution in original post

niketn
Legend

@ehudb, can you try window.location.href instead of document.referrer?

PS: If QueryString is present and you dont need it, you can truncate the same using JavaScript.

ehudb
Contributor

@niketnitay , window.location.href shows the current url, while document.referrer shows the previous url (the one that linked to this site)

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

@ehudb use window.location.href to store the URL variable and pass on to the external page as quesryString.

ehudb
Contributor

Ok I eventually used javascript to extract that data, so that's a decent workaround.
Can you make your comment as an answer so I can mark that as correct answer?

BTW, I used your User talk on splunk wiki a lot, thanks for that!

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

@ehudb glad it worked for you. I have converted my comment to answer. Please accept and up vote the comment/s that helped!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...