I have encountered an accident where my splunk search head is not accessible via web. I checked the splunk service in my server and found out splunkd is running perfectly. I cant restart splunkweb from cli since the website is not accessible, hence i restarted splunkd and that resolved the issue.
so, splunkd and splunk web services are two different processes.
As you are a member here at splunk answers, just thought to update you that, you can upvote any answers/comments and if any answers resolved your query, please "accept that as the answer", so that question will move from unanswered queue to answered queue