Security

Splunk doesn't link SSO/HTTP Header ID to Splunk ID

tavandek
Engager

I have Splunk v4.2.2 configured for SSO using an external CAS gateway with an Apache reverse proxy.

I've had to set a remoteUser other than 'REMOTE_USER' to get this far, but it appears to be working/accepted to the point where Splunk isn't correlating the HTTP header remoteUser to the local splunk account.
I'm getting an error:
auth:56 - getSessionKey - unable to login; check credentials
decorators:192 - Could not authenticate user XXXXXXX via SSO. Does XXXXXXX have a matching splunk account with the same username?

I'm able to log into the Splunk port with the same local account, but logging in via the proxy/CAS server doesn't find the same local account for the userid that's being delivered in the Remote User HTTP Header.

The information in the debug/sso page all looks correct/accepted. Incoming request IP is trusted and the HTTP header/value for the remote user is correct.

I have no idea how to further debug this.
Is there a known fix for this, or a way to add any more details to the debug info via mrsparkle code?

Tags (2)
0 Karma

lukejadamec
Super Champion

Thank you very much.

0 Karma

tavandek
Engager

Found/fixed it.

trustedIP in the server.conf file was set to the server's ip address instead of 127.0.0.1, which is apparently what splunkd requires to do SSO validation.

This was separate/different from the trustedIP in the web.conf, which was being accepted.

splunkd.log displayed these errors, whereas web_service.log had displayed the previous trustedIP matching errors.

kaddupa1
Explorer

Awesome, thanks. That was the Problem i had as well 🙂

0 Karma

Dark_Ichigo
Builder

Thank you so much, this solved a great issue I was having, you wont believe how much trouble I went through....THANK YOU!!!!!!!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...