Security

Modifying saved search permissions using the python SDK

erichar7
Explorer

I'm trying to modify a saved search's permissions using the python SDK and I'm running into problems. Basically I'm not sure how to actually do it or if it's even possible. I can see these settings just fine:

try:
    service = initSplunk() # Returns a client.connect object
except:
    print "Couldn't get a connection"
    exit(1)

for saved_search in service.saved_searches:
    access = saved_search.access
    print"[%s]" % saved_search.name

for key in access:
        print "   %s = %s" % (key , access[key])

If I run this bit of code on my local splunk install, it prints out the access settings for my one saved search "test_search":

[test_search]
   can_change_perms = 1
   sharing = user
   can_share_global = 1
   app = webtest
   modifiable = 1
   can_list = 1
   can_share_user = 1
   can_share_app = 1
   perms = None
   removable = 1
   can_write = 1
   owner = admin

The problem is, saved_search.access is a splunklib.data.Record which doesn't seem to have any sort of update function. If I try to use saved_search.update, it doesn't recognize "access". I'm not sure if I'm just using the wrong key words here or if this is impossible to do.

Thanks for the assistance!

0 Karma

dhiren051

can somebody please help me here with python code,could you please help me with python code here.

0 Karma

abhijitmishra
Explorer

Finally, I could accomplish it in Java. Probably will help you to accomplish it in Python.

1. Load the savedSearch
  2. Get the path of the savedSearch.
  3. The permission of the savedSearch is called "eai:acl". So to the path of the savedSearch, append "/acl". We'll refer to it as aclPath.
  4. Create an Args class object.Set your arguments into the Arguments class for keys - owner, sharing, perms.read, perms.write
  5. Post using the class ResponseMessage ( String aclPath, Args args)

Java Sample code:

SavedSearch savedSearch = service.getSavedSearches().get("my only saved search"); 
String aclPath = savedSearch.getPath().toString().concat("/acl");
Args args = new Args();
args2.add("owner", "their_user");
args2.add("sharing","app");
args2.add("perms.read", "where_user,queue_user");
args2.add("perms.write", "who_user, which_user");
ResponseMessage rms=service.post(savedSearch.getPath()+"/acl", args2);

Works for me !

erichar7
Explorer

Have you found a way to do it in python? I'll keep playing around with it. Looks like I can use urllib2

0 Karma

erichar7
Explorer

Unfortunately, I haven't found a solution yet

0 Karma

abhijitmishra
Explorer

Did you find any solution, I am trying to do the same using java. I could add to the variable, but unable to update it.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...