Security

How to use email or User Principle Name (UPN) instead of the Active Directory login?

jhillenburg
Path Finder

We currently have our users log into Splunk using their Active Directory (AD) credentials, and specifically the SamAccountName field. In the LDAP strategies pane, there is an option for changing this field. I would like to use email or User Principle Name (UPN). Has anyone done this, and does it present a problem?

Thanks.

0 Karma

brreeves_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Yes, you can set authentication.conf > userNameAttribute to either "mail" or "userPrincipalName" and login with either.

In my test setup (which I confirmed this in), my email address is the username for both, and after setting it to the respective values, I was able to log in both times.

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.5.2/Admin/Authenticationconf#LDAP_settings

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Day 0

Hello Splunk Community! My name is Chris, and I'm based in Canberra, Australia's capital, and I travelled for ...

Enhance Security Visibility with Splunk Enterprise Security 7.1 through Threat ...

(view in My Videos)Struggling with alert fatigue, lack of context, and prioritization around security ...

Troubleshooting the OpenTelemetry Collector

In this tech talk, you’ll learn how to troubleshoot the OpenTelemetry collector - from checking the ...