Security

How to see how many users are currently logged in to a server, monitored in Splunk?

B83896

Hello. Lately, we have started monitoring Windows server in Splunk. I have created a few dashboards with basins windows performance checkers. I want also to create a dashboard/report to see how many users are currently logged on to the server, which is monitored in Splunk? What type of search do I need to undertake? Is it required to activate any other specific logs from the server? Thanks,

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

vasildavid
Path Finder

I think you could accomplish this a couple of ways. You can either track the Windows Security Event Logs and look for logins/logouts or you could index the Windows PerfMon "\Server\Server Sessions" counter. The issue with trying to show the number of logged in users with the Event Logs is that if your reporting period is not large enough, a user who has been logged in since before that reporting period would not be included in the user count.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

nguyengiap00tha

I try track the Windows Security Event Logs and look for logins/logouts. But not combie Logs logon and logout?
Ples help!

0 Karma

vasildavid
Path Finder

I think you could accomplish this a couple of ways. You can either track the Windows Security Event Logs and look for logins/logouts or you could index the Windows PerfMon "\Server\Server Sessions" counter. The issue with trying to show the number of logged in users with the Event Logs is that if your reporting period is not large enough, a user who has been logged in since before that reporting period would not be included in the user count.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...