Security

How to search a lookup based on field values of a base search

Allene139
Explorer

Hello everyone, hope you are all well this afternoon.

I am trying to combine 2 searches where the outer search passes a value to the inner search and then appends the results. Let me explain:

As of right now, I am searching a set of logs that happens to include people's names and their request type when they call the bank. The one I am focused on is "withdraw inquiry." So we get a list of all people who try to withdraw money based on the following  base search.

index=myIndex sourcetype=mySource request_type="withdraw inquiry"
| xmlkv DetailXML
| stats count, values(phone_number), values(activity_summary), values(request_type) values(email) by acct_num name_last name_first
| where count > 1
| sort - count

I have made this into a dash board and then subsequently added a drilldown. You click the panel and it then searches a lookup table called Previously_Compromised_Accounts.csv

That search is this:

| inputlookup Previously_Compromised_Accounts.csv
| search name=*$clickValue$*
| table date user 

How can I combine this search? Basically, I would like to add another column "compromisedUser" to the base search. If the base search is ran, then a secondary search would be performed, using the value of "name_last" and search the lookup table, which then appends the results to the base search as "compromisedUser"

if no results come from the search of the Previously_Compromised_Accounts.csv, then that 8th coloumn can remain blank. 

accountNumber name_first name_last call count values(phone_number) values(activity_summary) values(email) compromisedUser
123456678 Smith John 3 1235550987 withdraw inquiry JohnSmith@company.com 26DEC2021
jsmith001
Labels (3)
0 Karma

Allene139
Explorer

Hey rich thanks so much, that was very helpful. Unfortunately, the column compromisedUser is blank. I think the problem is that the lookup command might be looking for an exact match.

Notice how the last name is Smith in the previous example, however, his username (AKA user) is jsmith001. So really, I would like to search the user field of Previously_Compromised_Accounts.csv for a string that contains "smith," and it would return jsmith001 and its date of compromise. 

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You can use the lookup command to check the CSV file and add a column to the table.

index=myIndex sourcetype=mySource request_type="withdraw inquiry"
| xmlkv DetailXML
| stats count, values(phone_number) as phone_number, values(activity_summary) as activity_summary, values(request_type) as request_type values(email) as email by acct_num name_last name_first
| where count > 1
| sort - count
| lookup Previously_Compromised_Accounts.csv name as name_last
| eval compromisedUser = date . " " . user
| table acct_num name_first name_last count phone_number activity_summary email compromisedUser
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...