Security

How to create user who can create user without administrative right ?

akanno
Communicator

Hi,splunk community.

I'm now considering user management.

I want to create user who can only do user management without administrative right.
Therefore, I created a new user, and I added "edit_user" and "edit_role" to Capabilities of this user.

It looks like I created the user who do user management without administrative right.
However, this user can create user who have administrative right.
That really doesn't have any meaning.

is there a way to prevent to create user who have administrative right?

0 Karma
1 Solution

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The best way is to outsource user management via LDAP or Active Directory. The Splunk administrator sets up the connection and maps Splunk roles to LDAP/AD groups, and users are added/removed from Splunk by adding them to those LDAP/AD groups or removing them.

With the built-in authentication you're not going to achieve that, there's no special capability that restricts assigning roles with admin permissions to users, and nothing restricting assigning admin capabilities to roles.

View solution in original post

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The best way is to outsource user management via LDAP or Active Directory. The Splunk administrator sets up the connection and maps Splunk roles to LDAP/AD groups, and users are added/removed from Splunk by adding them to those LDAP/AD groups or removing them.

With the built-in authentication you're not going to achieve that, there's no special capability that restricts assigning roles with admin permissions to users, and nothing restricting assigning admin capabilities to roles.

akanno
Communicator

Thank you for your help.
I will use LDAP or AD.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...