Security

How to check status of all SSL certificates in Splunk?

OldManEd
Builder

All,

To start with, I am not good with SSL issues. Second, I inherited this instance of Splunk with no documentation of any kind so I'm reverse engineering everything.

That being said, another team in my company sent me the following notice from Hobbit;

SSL certificate for https://nn.nn.nn.nn:8000/ expires in 9 days

Server certificate:
    subject:/CN=<indexer name>/O=SplunkUser
    start date: 2011-08-09 20:55:35 GMT
    expire date:2014-08-08 20:55:35 GMT
    key size:1024
    issuer:/C=US/ST=CA/L=San Francisco/O=Splunk/CN=SplunkCommonCA/emailAddress=support@splunk.com

I don't know how they set this up or where they are getting this information. So I get on the server and follow a procedure that I received from Splunk support a while ago to regenerate certs;

If you were using the stock certificates, you can regenerate them with this method : 

- to recreate a new splunkweb certificate : 
delete (or move) the files $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/auth/splunkweb/cert.pem and privkey.pem 
and restart splunk 

- to recreate a new splunkd certificate 
delete (or move) the files $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/auth/server.pem 
and restart splunk 

I did this but I'm still seeing the Hobbit message. So I run a grep for "[sslConfig]" to see if I can trace down the issue. What I find is this;

In "etc/system/local/server.conf":
    [sslConfig]
    sslKeysfilePassword = <secret code>

In "var/run/splunk/merged/server.conf":
    [sslConfig]
    caCertFile = cacert.pem
    caPath = $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/auth
    certCreateScript = $SPLUNK_HOME/bin/splunk, createssl, server-cert
    cipherSuite = ALL:!aNULL:!eNULL:!LOW:!EXP:RC4+RSA:+HIGH:+MEDIUM
    enableSplunkdSSL = true
    sslKeysfile = server.pem
    sslKeysfilePassword = <sceret code>
    supportSSLV3Only = false
    useClientSSLCompression = true
    useSplunkdClientSSLCompression = true

I then look at the "$SPLUNK_HOME/etc/auth/cacert.pem" file and see that it is just over 3 years old. But I don't know if this is where my problem is or not.

What I need to know is how do I check in Splunk what the status is of all my certs, (how old are they etc.) Regenerating what I need will be another issue.

~Ed

Labels (1)
1 Solution

OldManEd
Builder

I ran the procedure suggested by Splunk support a second time, and it worked. I don't know why. I guess I can blame it on Solar Flares. The message now reads;

SSL certificate for https://nn.nn.nn.nn:8000/ expires in 1095 days

Server certificate:
    start date: 2014-07-31 14:23:43 GMT
    expire date:2017-07-30 14:23:43 GMT
    issuer:/C=US/ST=CA/L=San Francisco/O=Splunk/CN=SplunkCommonCA/emailAddress=support@splunk.com

View solution in original post

OldManEd
Builder

I ran the procedure suggested by Splunk support a second time, and it worked. I don't know why. I guess I can blame it on Solar Flares. The message now reads;

SSL certificate for https://nn.nn.nn.nn:8000/ expires in 1095 days

Server certificate:
    start date: 2014-07-31 14:23:43 GMT
    expire date:2017-07-30 14:23:43 GMT

chris
Motivator

What procedure/command do you run to get this output?

dbturner18
Loves-to-Learn Lots

That output is produced from Hobbit, not Splunk. Hobbit is a variant of BigBrother. I just realized the date on your question. Well I hope this helps anyway. 😄

http://hobbit.math.cnrs.fr/hobbit/help/about.html

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...