Security

How do I renew an expired Splunk Certificate?

khusain_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

We have a distributed Splunk environment and the certificate for Splunk API in port tcp/8089 on the search head has expired.

How do I renew the Splunk Certificates?

0 Karma
1 Solution

khusain_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

First check if really Certs expired:

Windows:

C:\Program Files\splunk\bin> openssl x509 -enddate -noout -in "C:\Program Files\splunk\etc\auth\server.pem

Linux:
openssl x509 -enddate -noout -in /opt/splunk/etc/auth/server.pem

If it has been expired then rename /opt/splunk/etc/auth/server.pem to server.pem.back and restart splunkd.

./splunk restart

This will regenerate the server.pem file and renewed the certs.

View solution in original post

swellerrific
Explorer

Howdy! Quick follow-up on this. My apologies, still learning here. This is the first expiration since we stood up our environment.

In a distributed environment, do I do this on all my Splunk instances individually or can I do this on the deployment server and it pushes it out? 

Thank you in advance! 🙂 

0 Karma

harsmarvania57
Ultra Champion
0 Karma

khusain_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

First check if really Certs expired:

Windows:

C:\Program Files\splunk\bin> openssl x509 -enddate -noout -in "C:\Program Files\splunk\etc\auth\server.pem

Linux:
openssl x509 -enddate -noout -in /opt/splunk/etc/auth/server.pem

If it has been expired then rename /opt/splunk/etc/auth/server.pem to server.pem.back and restart splunkd.

./splunk restart

This will regenerate the server.pem file and renewed the certs.

yannK
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

If your splunk server.pem expired, then your mongo/kvstore cert copy probably expired too.

Check in $SPLUNK_HOME/var/lib/splunk/kvstore/mongo/splunk.key
if needed, you can move it aside, and restart splunk. A new one will be created based on the splunkd one.

see https://answers.splunk.com/answers/699766/can-you-help-me-with-the-following-mongod-kvstore.html

0 Karma

splunkreal
Motivator

This should be documented 🙂

* If this helps, please upvote or accept solution 🙂 *
0 Karma

Faarooq
Loves-to-Learn

Does anyone know if there are any options to obtain certs for more than one year? 

0 Karma

splunkreal
Motivator

This generates for 3 years normally.

* If this helps, please upvote or accept solution 🙂 *
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...