Security

How do I renew an expired Splunk Certificate?

khusain_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

We have a distributed Splunk environment and the certificate for Splunk API in port tcp/8089 on the search head has expired.

How do I renew the Splunk Certificates?

0 Karma
1 Solution

khusain_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

First check if really Certs expired:

Windows:

C:\Program Files\splunk\bin> openssl x509 -enddate -noout -in "C:\Program Files\splunk\etc\auth\server.pem

Linux:
openssl x509 -enddate -noout -in /opt/splunk/etc/auth/server.pem

If it has been expired then rename /opt/splunk/etc/auth/server.pem to server.pem.back and restart splunkd.

./splunk restart

This will regenerate the server.pem file and renewed the certs.

View solution in original post

swellerrific
Explorer

Howdy! Quick follow-up on this. My apologies, still learning here. This is the first expiration since we stood up our environment.

In a distributed environment, do I do this on all my Splunk instances individually or can I do this on the deployment server and it pushes it out? 

Thank you in advance! 🙂 

0 Karma

harsmarvania57
Ultra Champion
0 Karma

khusain_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

First check if really Certs expired:

Windows:

C:\Program Files\splunk\bin> openssl x509 -enddate -noout -in "C:\Program Files\splunk\etc\auth\server.pem

Linux:
openssl x509 -enddate -noout -in /opt/splunk/etc/auth/server.pem

If it has been expired then rename /opt/splunk/etc/auth/server.pem to server.pem.back and restart splunkd.

./splunk restart

This will regenerate the server.pem file and renewed the certs.

yannK
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

If your splunk server.pem expired, then your mongo/kvstore cert copy probably expired too.

Check in $SPLUNK_HOME/var/lib/splunk/kvstore/mongo/splunk.key
if needed, you can move it aside, and restart splunk. A new one will be created based on the splunkd one.

see https://answers.splunk.com/answers/699766/can-you-help-me-with-the-following-mongod-kvstore.html

0 Karma

splunkreal
Motivator

This should be documented 🙂

* If this helps, please upvote or accept solution if it solved *
0 Karma

Faarooq
Loves-to-Learn

Does anyone know if there are any options to obtain certs for more than one year? 

0 Karma

splunkreal
Motivator

This generates for 3 years normally.

* If this helps, please upvote or accept solution if it solved *
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...