Security

How do I find the first firewall entry?

nick598660

Hello Everyone,

I need some help figuring out how far back my firewall logs go. If I set the time picker to "All Time", and just search for Cisco ASA, I get 20 pages of events from today.

Any ideas on how I can locate when I first started getting logs into Splunk from my firewall?

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

whrg
Motivator

Hello @nick598660,

You can use the metadata command to list the timestamps of the first event and of last the event for a list of sourcetypes/hosts/sources.

Try something like this:

| metadata type=sourcetypes index=YOURINDEX
| rename firstTime as "First Event" lastTime as "Last Event" recentTime as "Last Update"
| fieldformat "First Event"=strftime('First Event', "%c") | fieldformat "Last Event"=strftime('Last Event', "%c") | fieldformat "Last Update"=strftime('Last Update', "%c")

The web page under Settings / Indexes also lists the earliest event and the latest event for each index.

If the log volume is not too big, then you could also run a simple tail command to retrieve the first event. Set the time picker to "All Time":

index=YOURINDEX sourcetype=YOURSOURCETYPE | tail 1

View solution in original post

0 Karma

whrg
Motivator

Hello @nick598660,

You can use the metadata command to list the timestamps of the first event and of last the event for a list of sourcetypes/hosts/sources.

Try something like this:

| metadata type=sourcetypes index=YOURINDEX
| rename firstTime as "First Event" lastTime as "Last Event" recentTime as "Last Update"
| fieldformat "First Event"=strftime('First Event', "%c") | fieldformat "Last Event"=strftime('Last Event', "%c") | fieldformat "Last Update"=strftime('Last Update', "%c")

The web page under Settings / Indexes also lists the earliest event and the latest event for each index.

If the log volume is not too big, then you could also run a simple tail command to retrieve the first event. Set the time picker to "All Time":

index=YOURINDEX sourcetype=YOURSOURCETYPE | tail 1
0 Karma

nick598660

That is exactly what I was looking for. Thank You!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...