Security

How do I find the SSL version the Splunk forwarder is using to send the data?

arrangineni
Path Finder

I need to validate all my forwarders to check which SLL version(TLS1.2, TLS1.1, ETC) they are using to send data. We recently deployed changes to all the agents to use TLS1.2, but we need to validate it.

Is there a way to check in Splunk with a query? Currently, I am working on the queries below but not all the clients giving SSL version with this approach. Can anyone help me with this?

Splunk_SSLversion Lookup

index=_internal source=*splunkd.log sourcetype=splunkd message="*Server supporting SSL versions*" 
| dedup host 
| eval Time=strftime(_time, "%D %H:%M:%S") 
| eval Host=upper(host) 
| stats latest(Time) as Time latest(message) as SSL_Status by Host 
| table Time Host SSL_Status | outputlookup append=true Splunk_SSLversions.csv

Second query:

index=_internal source=*metrics.log group=tcpin_connections 
| eval hostname=upper(hostname) 
| eval sourceHost=if(isnull(hostname), sourceHost,hostname) 
| eval connectionType=case(fwdType=="uf","univ fwder", fwdType=="lwf", "lightwt fwder",fwdType=="full", "heavy fwder", connectionType=="cooked" or connectionType=="cookedSSL","Splunk fwder", connectionType=="raw" or connectionType=="rawSSL","legacy fwder") 
| search connectionType="univ fwder"
| rename arch as MachineType | lookup local=true Splunk_SSLversion_Details.csv Host AS sourceHost OUTPUTNEW SSL_Status as SSL_Version
| table connectionType sourceIp sourceHost SSL_Version MachineType 
| dedup sourceIp
Tags (2)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...