Security

How can I detect when a new IP is used by a user ?

ctaf
Contributor

Hello,

I have a search that find all the IPs used by each user. I would like to run this search periodically so that if a new IP is used by a user, I receive an alert. I was think about storing the results in a CSV and comparing the result of the following search with that CSV. But is it efficient ?

Also, I am not sure how to save it as a CSV since there can be several IPs for one user:

user1, ip1, ip2
user2, ip1

Any ideas ?

Thanks

EDIT:

I managed to progress. I used a join with a subsearch:

... distinct_count(src_ip) values(src_ip) AS IP earliest=-1d@d latest=@d by user | rename distinct_count(Web.src) AS count | fields user, count, IP | join user [ ... distinct_count(src_ip) values(src_ip) AS IP_old from earliest=-22d@d latest=-1d@d by user | rename distinct_count(Web.src) AS count_old | fields user, count_old, IP_old] | makemv delim=" " IP_old | where IP!=IP_old

But I don't know how to compare the multi-values field "IP" and the multi-values field "IP_old". I would like to keep only the event where IPs in "IP" are new compared to "IP_old".

Any ideas ?

0 Karma
1 Solution

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

You can do this:

First create a CSV for what you have seen so far:

... | stats dc(src_ip) AS numIPs values(src_ip) AS IPs BY user | nomv IPs | outputcsv IPsByUser.csv

Next, use this to compare:

.... table src_ip user | eval type="NEW" | append [| inputcsv IPsByUser.csv | makemv delim=" " IPs | mvexpand IPs | rename IPs as src_ip | eval type="OLD"] | stats dc(type) AS numTypes values(*) AS * BY src_ip user

The above base search gives the fully merged set (full join). To get what you need, add this to it:

| where numTypes="1" AND type="NEW"

View solution in original post

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

You can do this:

First create a CSV for what you have seen so far:

... | stats dc(src_ip) AS numIPs values(src_ip) AS IPs BY user | nomv IPs | outputcsv IPsByUser.csv

Next, use this to compare:

.... table src_ip user | eval type="NEW" | append [| inputcsv IPsByUser.csv | makemv delim=" " IPs | mvexpand IPs | rename IPs as src_ip | eval type="OLD"] | stats dc(type) AS numTypes values(*) AS * BY src_ip user

The above base search gives the fully merged set (full join). To get what you need, add this to it:

| where numTypes="1" AND type="NEW"
0 Karma

kv
Explorer

Hi Woodcock,

Could you explain how it detects the new IP using your command? I can view the results but am not understanding the working part of the command.

Thanks In advance

0 Karma

ctaf
Contributor

Oh it works great !

Just a remark, you mistype "user" at the end of the 2nd command (you typed "host").

And I changed "table src_ip user" by tstat command to use summary data.

Thank you very much !

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

I fixed that mistake; thanks for pointing it out to me.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...