Security

Error opening CA Certificate ca.pem

albyva
Communicator

I just downloaded a new 6.1 copy of Splunk for FreeBSD. After a wget download and running (tar zxvf splunk-6.1.1-207789-freebsd-7.3-amd64.tgz), I felt I was ready to start Splunk. So I ran ( /opt/splunk/bin/splunk start) and this happened < SEE BELOW >.

Any ideas of what might be going on with the ca.pem file issue? I recently upgraded openssl to v1.0.1g. Could that be causing me issues? Or is there some step I've overlooked during the install?

Thanks,

Splunk> Like an F-18, bro.

Checking prerequisites...

Checking http port [8000]: open

Checking mgmt port [8089]: open

Checking configuration...  Done.

Checking critical directories...        Done

Checking indexes...

Validated: _audit _blocksignature _internal _introspection _thefishbucket history main summary

Done

New certs have been generated in '/opt/splunk/etc/auth'.

Checking filesystem compatibility...  Done

Checking conf files for problems...

Done

All preliminary checks passed.

Starting splunk server daemon (splunkd)...

Done

Starting splunkweb... Generating certs for splunkweb server

Generating a 1024 bit RSA private key

.....++++++

...........................++++++

writing new private key to 'privKeySecure.pem'

Signature ok

subject=/CN=DOMAIN.NAME/O=SplunkUser

Error opening CA Certificate ca.pem

34377709224:error:02001002:system library:fopen:No such file or
directory:bss_file.c:398:fopen('ca.pem','r')

34377709224:error:20074002:BIO routines:FILE_CTRL:system lib:bss_file.c:400:

unable to load certificate

Command failed (ret=1), exiting.

0 Karma
1 Solution

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

For some reason, your startup didn't create the ca.pem on first-time run. You might try running /opt/splunk/bin/splunk cmd genRootCA.sh and see if it will create the file again.

View solution in original post

aileencita

,Problem generating Certificate because phassphrase was in blank (CentOs)

I had a problem with my certificate because I left passphrase in blank, so then I could not generate another certificate or open the current one 😞

I tried deleting the cakey.pem from your $dir/CA/private

First at all check your openssl.cnf in CentOs is in /etc/pki/tls/openssl.cnf. Check the value dir=xxxxxxx
Enter in that path (example: /etc/pki/tls/openssl.cnf) and check $dir

Enter in $dir (example: /etc/pki/CA) and find /private
Deletes the key file cakey.pem

Now, everything should going back to normally.

Try to generate your Certificate again (example: $/etc/pki/tls/misc/CA -newca) and That's it!!!

Good luck and I hope this post will be helpful!

0 Karma

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

For some reason, your startup didn't create the ca.pem on first-time run. You might try running /opt/splunk/bin/splunk cmd genRootCA.sh and see if it will create the file again.

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

You can try ./splunk createssl web-cert to get the splunkweb certificate. If that doesn't work, it may be because the hashed password for the certificate in /opt/splunk/etc/system/local/server.conf in sslKeysFilePassword is now wrong after the regeneration. You can replace that with plaintext password (that's the default password, you can change it with openssl) and Splunk will re-hash it.

0 Karma

albyva
Communicator

It looks like running genRootCA.sh solved my Certificate issues. Thanks. Although it appears splunkweb is failing to kick in. I'll troubleshoot that issue and see if I need to open a new Question.

Thanks.

New certs have been generated in '/opt/splunk/etc/auth'.
Checking filesystem compatibility... Done
Checking conf files for problems...
Done
All preliminary checks passed.

Starting splunk server daemon (splunkd)...
Done

Starting splunkweb... Error starting splunkweb.

albyva
Communicator

To Update, it looks like I've narrowed the issue to (openssl).

root@:/opt/splunk # /usr/bin/openssl req -new -key FILENAME.pem -out FILENAME.csr
Error opening Private Key FILENAME.pem
34381428392:error:02001002:system library:fopen:No such file or directory:bss_file.c:398:fopen('FILENAME.pem','r')
34381428392:error:20074002:BIO routines:FILE_CTRL:system lib:bss_file.c:400:
unable to load Private Key

I also found this helpful link with another having a similar issue: http://answers.splunk.com/answers/44718/splunkweb-certificates-issue

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...