We'v got license violations six times with 500MB license level, but when we update with new license level 20G(stop then start in CLI), it still does not work for searching. The license detail in splunk web has been reflashed by 20,480MB, but the old violation records remain existing, the web's title also shows "reached the maximun license violations for this time period". The new license date has not been expired.
Looks like the upgrade to 4.1.4 may have just uncovered incorrect licensing in prior versions. Before the upgrade from 4.1.3 to 4.1.4 we had 6 violations in the last 30 days, but no issues with using search - not messages about exceeding our license, except for the logged violations.
After the upgrade, we got the licensing error and search was disabled. After rolling back to 4.1.3, the error went away.
You should contact support for license problems. They should be able to provide you with a reset key, although I had thought that application of a new license should also reset the violations count to zero.