Security

DOD CAC/mod_rewrite: Is there an easy way to extract the variable?

MathewRogers
Explorer

Splunk support,

I am working out an SSO solution with DOD CAC (certificate authentication). I am doing this through user of an apache proxy server which extracts the certificate information. The variable I am extracting is "SSL_CLIENT_S_DN_CN" which looks something like this "Lastname.Firstname.1234567890". The portion of the variable I need is the string of numbers at the end (1234567890). Is there an easy way to extract this information? So long as the variable editing is done in apache, I am able to send it to the second server(Splunk).

NOTE

The proxy services are running on server1. Splunk is running on server2. Apache version is 2.2.3

Labels (1)

VTARNG_Paul
Explorer
0 Karma

MathewRogers
Explorer

I worked out my issue. I needed three lines in my apache configuration. They are:

RewriteCond %{SSL:SSL_CLIENT_S_DN_CN} ([0-9]+$)

RewriteRule (.*) - [E=USER:%1]

RequestHeader set user %{USER}e

The thing I was missing was %1 to reference RewriteCond ad opposed to $1, which references RewriteRule

ElCoronel
Engager

The branch I support appends the CN inside AD. I had to point Splunk at employeeID instead of sAMAccountName to get it to match up with the CN from the users CAC. Other than that, MatthewRogers solutiuon worked great.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...