Security

Chart of unique user logins per day

jeck11
Path Finder

I feel like an idiot because this should be simple. I'm trying to get a basic graph showing unique user logins per day for our Splunk Cloud environment. This search came from the "Utilization Monitor for Splunk" app and I thought it would be as easy as adding "by day" to the stats segment but that didn't work.

index=_audit user!="splunk-system-user" user!="N/A" user=* host=* NOT (action=log* info=fail*) | stats dc(user) as "Splunkers"

If I were the only user to log in and I only work mon-fri then I would expect the chart to be something like 0,1,1,1,1,1,0.
alt text

Can someone please point out what I'm missing before I lose the little hair I have left?

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

to4kawa
Ultra Champion
index=_audit user!="splunk-system-user" user!="N/A" user=* host=* NOT (action=log* info=fail*)
| eval date_wday=strftime(_time,"%F")
| chart dc(user) as "Splunkers" by  date_wday,user
| eval date_wday=strftime(strptime(date_wday,"%F"),"%A")

View solution in original post

0 Karma

to4kawa
Ultra Champion
index=_audit user!="splunk-system-user" user!="N/A" user=* host=* NOT (action=log* info=fail*)
| chart dc(user) as "Splunkers" by  date_wday,user
| eval date_wday=strftime(strptime(date_wday,"%F"),"%A")
0 Karma

jeck11
Path Finder

| chart dc(user) as "Splunkers" by date_wday

Thank you! The strftime is the key for getting the data I needed.

0 Karma

Anantha123
Communicator

Hi,

Try this

index=_audit user!="splunk-system-user" user!="N/A" user=* host=* NOT (action=log* info=fail*) | chart dc(user) as "Splunkers" by user , date_wday

Thanks
Anantha

0 Karma

jeck11
Path Finder

That broke it down more granularly than I was looking for. I updated the question with an example chart.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Combine Multiline Logs into a Single Event with SOCK - a Guide for Advanced Users

This article is the continuation of the “Combine multiline logs into a single event with SOCK - a step-by-step ...

Everything Community at .conf24!

You may have seen mention of the .conf Community Zone 'round these parts and found yourself wondering what ...

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...