Security

Can't set permissions for the navigation menu

mihelic
Path Finder

I am running Splunk version 5.0.2.

I want to add write permissions for the navigation menu to a user role. I go to "Manager » User interface » Navigation menus" as the admin user and click the Permissions link for the entry "default". I check the appropriate user role in the Write column and click Save.
The file /opt/splunk/etc/apps/search/metadata/local.meta show this for the navigation menu file:

[nav/default]
access = read : [ * ], write : [ admin, naviwrite ]
owner = nobody
version = xxxx
modtime = xxxx

Users in naviwrite can't edit/save the content of the navigation menu entry "default".

When I click on the Permissions link again, the only role ticked in the Write column is admin. The content of local.meta still shows

access = read : [ * ], write : [ admin, naviwrite ]

The test setup does not have these problems.
Looks like local.meta is totally ignored.

How can I get this to work?

0 Karma

ecambra_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I dont expect anyone to respond, but I found a specific problem that was causing similar issues.

If there is a menu shared globally with the same title (usually default) It will override all settings for any local app menus that have the same name.

In my case it all objects for a TA were shared globally, including a default menu.

Runals
Motivator

Interestingly enough we didn't have an issue with the Splunk TA for Linux and Windows shipping out with the Nav bar shared globally UNTIL we attempted to change the permissions of the Nav bar in one of the apps. This created a couple lines in the local.meta file specific to the app level permissions to this object but somehow wasn't handled gracefully by Splunk (aka the globally shared nav bar permissions appeared to kick in ala exambra_splunk's post)

0 Karma

raziasaduddin
Path Finder

I have the same issue in Splunk 6.0.3 on Windows. Once all the global default.xml navs were set to app-only. everything worked. I will submit a bug to Splunk

0 Karma

dirkbaumann
Explorer

I have the same problem! can somebody please answer this question!!!

0 Karma

mihelic
Path Finder

Yes. local.meta and navigation menu are both within the search app context.
local.meta:
/opt/splunk/etc/apps/search/metadata/local.meta
navigaion menu:
/opt/splunk/etc/apps/search/default/data/ui/nav/default.xml
or after the admin user made changes:
/opt/splunk/etc/apps/search/local/data/ui/nav/default.xml

0 Karma

LukeMurphey
Champion

Is the local.meta in the same app where the nav to be edited is?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...