Security

Can't log in on command line

thepocketwade
Path Finder

I'm able to log in to the web interface and I'm a splunk admin. But when I try to log in on the command line I get a login failure. Is this something that's been seen before?

EDIT

The failure message says "Login Failed," I'm using bash on a Red Hat box. All local accounts, my coworkers can login to their splunk accounts on the CLI, but I can't.

EDIT 2

I tried again as the splunk user on the box, and the login worked fine. Is there a way to open that capability up to a user other than splunk?

Tags (2)
0 Karma

patng_nw
Communicator

I hit the same problem recently.  At the end I resolved the problem by using the -auth CLI parameter instead of inputing the password at the "Password:" prompt.

0 Karma

araitz
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

There is no restriction on who can log in via the CLI.

My guess is that you don't have a home directory defined, or the permissions on your home directory don't permit you to write the necessary information that will persist your session.

0 Karma

BunnyHop
Contributor

The login ID on the GUI is different from the CLI, although the default credentials are the same (admin:changeme). If you have not changed the credential on the CLI, then use the default. You can change the password if you wish.

Also, on Win7, Splunk has issue with UAC. Run the CMD as Administrator and then perform your CLI commands.

southeringtonp
Motivator

Also, are you trying to use the built-in 'admin' account or one you created? Are you using LDAP for login or local accounts for authentication?

0 Karma

araitz
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Needs more ... details. What is the failure message? What shell? What OS?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...