Security

Best way to collect logs from Checkpoint and Blue Coat Proxies?

daniel_augustyn
Contributor

What is the best way to collect logs from the devices that I can't install Universal Forwarders on? Should I use the available apps like the ones for Checkpoint and Blue Coat? Would I even need these apps? Or should I just import the logs directly to a heavy forwarder?

These are the questions I have:

Do I need an app for a specific device if UF is not available to be installed on that device?
Do I need to install heavy forwarders for these types of logs?

0 Karma
1 Solution

ryanlait
Explorer

I cannot speak for checkpoint, but forwarding BlueCoat logs via syslog to our heavy forwarder has been simple and effective for me.

Configure a UDP listener on a heavy forwarder and configure your bluecoat/s to forward logs to your heavy forwarder IP:port via syslog.

We've written a few custom search queries and dashboards but the BlueCoat app is a good starting point.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

mreynov_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The best practice for cases like this is setting up syslog aggregation like syslog-ng, forward your logs to that and install the UF on the syslog-ng server.

0 Karma

ryanlait
Explorer

I cannot speak for checkpoint, but forwarding BlueCoat logs via syslog to our heavy forwarder has been simple and effective for me.

Configure a UDP listener on a heavy forwarder and configure your bluecoat/s to forward logs to your heavy forwarder IP:port via syslog.

We've written a few custom search queries and dashboards but the BlueCoat app is a good starting point.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...